International Garden Photographer of the Year
International Garden Photographer of the Year is the world’s most prestigious photographic competition and exhibition for garden, plant and botanical photography. The winners of the competition go on to form exhibitions, which tour the UK, Europe and worldwide.
IGPOTY is supported by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew where the exhibition of winners is launched. IGPOTY aims to:
- Showcase the beauty and importance of a green planet
- Champion photography both as an art form and as a mode of communication
- Help strengthen the bond between people, plants, gardens and nature
- Broaden public understanding of the natural world
IGPOTY continues to be the world’s most prestigious global photography competition for garden and plant photography – open to all ages, amateurs and professionals alike, with a Young Garden Photographer of the Year award for under 17s.
The IGPOTY exhibition tours the UK and worldwide – including Germany, Gibraltar, Portugal and The Netherlands for 2018. IGPOTY Competition 11 had 19,000 individual entries from over 50 countries.
The exhibition at York will feature the IGPOTY outdoor structure which consists of 12 x 1.8 x 1.8m panels. Images on display will feature the finest images of plant life, gardens and green space in the world and will seek to celebrate the beauty and importance of a green planet.
Curtis McGlinchey, IGPOTY Manager said:
“Competition 11 has been a tremendous year for garden photography as we continue to push the genre and broaden public understanding and awareness of plant life in its many diverse forms. We’re thrilled to be sharing these inspiring images through York Museums Trust, working together to champion the value of culture, art and nature.”
A book accompanying the exhibition will be available to buy from the Yorkshire Museum and York Art Gallery.
The exhibition will be open 9 May to 7 August 2018 and admission is free.
Join Philip Smith (founder of International Garden Photographer of the Year competition and exhibition) for a full day or half day workshop at the Yorkshire Museum to learn tips and tricks to improve your photography. You will need to bring your own camera.
Full day – 22 June, 10am-4pm
- Topics covered include macro, depth of field, composition, digital processing, and learning about light and colour. There are opportunities for one to one discussion with the tutor. Participants will have a chance to discuss their photographs with the group in the final session of the afternoon. £75.
Half day – 23 June, 10am-12.30pm
- Topics to include composition and learning about light and colour. £25.
Tickets are available from the Yorkshire Museum or by emailing email@example.com.
Competition for YMT Card Holders
Are you a YMT Card Holder and a budding photographer? Follow @yorkmuseumgardens on Instagram then post your shot of our Gardens at their most beautiful with the hashtag #YMTmemberscomp to be in with a chance of winning some great prizes. Click here to find out more.
7:30am – 6:00pm*
*See Visitor Information for changes.