The outdoors can be a magical adventure for little explorers – which is why we’re excited to launch our ‘Museum Gardens Forest School.’
Children aged 2-5 years old will be led through stories and adventures by our experienced Forest School qualified leader.
Come along and join in our foraging, building, exploring and nature tracking activities which are designed to develop your little ones’ skills through fun and adventure.
Inspire learning and creativity through the magic of nature in our special story-telling and Forest School activity area.
What to expect in a session
Each weekly session lasts two hours, beginning in our Storytelling area in the centre of York Museum Gardens.
Through a story or talk, children will be encouraged to be inquisitive about what adventures they will be led on during their session.
Travelling through the gardens, there may be quests on the way to our fun-filled activity centre.
Here children can enjoy:
- nature finding
- hands-on activities
- new skills and thinking activities
- and much more!
Can they make a birds nest? Or build a den for shelter? Your children will have great fun exploring how.
Dates and times
The sessions will run from 9.30-11.30am on the following Tuesdays:
- 4th June
- 11th June
- 18th June
- 25th June
- 2nd July
- 9th July
What to wear
In the summer we advise wearing a lightweight long sleeved top, long trousers, closed sturdy shoes (no sandals) a waterproof jacket, a sun hat and plenty of sun cream.
As a Forest School we will enjoy sessions in all of the seasons. The only time we won’t be out is when it is too windy or there is lightening.
What to bring
Please bring some water and whatever treats you fancy!
We will also have some healthy and tasty snacks for children. Please inform the group session trainer at the start of the session if your child has any allergies.
Our Forest School Leader is fully first aid trained and we have medical kits and risk assessments for each session.
We aim to minimise all risks and we have some advice that we ask you to follow:
- All of our Forest School Areas have set boundaries – please ensure that if you leave the group you let our session leader know in advance
- If your child has any medical needs or allergies that we need to be aware of, please inform the session trainers before the session
- The area has had a tip to toe search, but if you notice anything that could cause harm or injury please let our session leader know
- If you or your child have a first aid need, please let us know as we are equipped to support you
- Please do not leave your child unattended without informing our session leader – the expectation is that you and your child share the experience together
- Children are inquisitive and some fruits or flowers often look tempting. Please ensure that nothing is eaten other than the treat you have brought or we provided
- It can be messy fun in a forest school, so please keep an eye out for muddy fingers in mouths. We have hand sanitiser and water to clean hands
7:30am – 6:00pm*
*See Visitor Information for changes.