York Observatory in the York Museum Gardens is the major part of York Museums Trust’s Astronomy Collection.
It was built in 1832 and 1833 and is the oldest working observatory in Yorkshire.
Its 4 inch refractor telescope was built by York man Thomas Cooke in 1850, who went on to make the then-largest telescope in the world. It was installed in 1981 when the observatory was restored.The Observatory also houses an 1811 clock which tells the time based on observations of the positions of stars. It was once the clock by which all others in York were set and is still always four minutes, 20 seconds, behind Greenwich Mean Time. In the mid 19th century it would cost sixpence to check a timepiece against the Observatory Clock.
Our collection also includes telescopes which are kept with other scientific instruments at York Castle Museum.
During the 1780s leading astronomers John Goodricke and Edward Pigott were based in York and laid the foundations of variable star astronomy, this is the study of stars of varying brightness. Goodricke has a college at the University of York named after him and Pigott was the first English man to discover a comet then have it named after him.
Visiting the Observatory
We aim to open York Observatory every day 11.30am to 2.30pm. However, as the site is manned by trained volunteers, we cannot guarantee to be open on any particular day.
Please contact us ahead if you would like to visit on a specific day –
- via email at email@example.com
- by phone on 01904 687 687
If you would like to know about volunteering at York Observatory please click here.
York Observatory Evenings
During the winter months we are able to open the York Observatory during the evening with a variety of additional activities available in the building and the surrounding gardens led by our team of volunteers.
There are current no up-coming dates available, but we hope to announce some in the near future
7:30am – 8:00pm*